Welcome to our residency!
We are excited to introduce you to our full-spectrum family medicine residency. Whether you are looking to work with urban underserved, gain skills to provide care in global settings or pursue a career in academic medicine, the University of Cincinnati/Christ Hospital Family Medicine Residency could be the next step in your medical training.
Our residents and faculty end up doing a lot! Below is a list of some of the things we are currently bragging about. If you want even more click here to look at the most recent department news letter and here for the most recent research division news.
- Our FMC staff could not be more deserving of the SMILES award they received from Christ Hospital for the care they provide not only the the patient mentioned in the video above, but to every patient that walks into the office. We could not do our jobs without them!
- Dr. Michelle Collier has been selected to be a keynote speaker at the 21st Century Academic Forum held annually at Harvard University. She will present on positive psychological skills in medical education and creating a supportive learning environment in all stages of medical training.
- Each year we send a strong cohort of residents and faculty to the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Conference. This year Dr. Elizabeth Beckman (FMP), Dr. Shanna Stryker (FMP), Dr. Catherine Pinkston, Dr. Corey Keeton (FMP), Dr. Michael Putnam and attendings Dr. Anna Goroncy and Dr. Megan Rich all traveled to Washington DC to present the work, projects and ideas our residency has cultivated over the last year. (Click here for a list of all the presentations)
- Continuing her trend of publications, Dr. Megan Rich has written on collaborative clinical education in The Clinical Teacher.
- Dr. Aruna Puthota (FMP)- was selected to receive the Humanism and Excellence In Teaching Award by the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine class of 2019! So happy to be able to share our excellence in teaching with the next generation of doctors.
- Attending Dr. Jeff Schlaudecker received the Silver Apple Award for Teaching from the Class of 2018 while Dr. Eleanor Glass received the Silver Apple Award for Teaching from the Class of 2021!
- Dr. Shanna Stryker (FMP)- winner of the 2017 Martin Fenton Award for Resident of the Year from the national Association of Medicine and Psychiatry. The UC program has won this award in 2 of the last 3 years.
- Dr. Christian Gausvik continues to be a champion for fighting Alzheimer’s disease. He raised over $6,000 through his event Cincy Brews for Brains in Fall 2017 only to exceed $20,000 in April 2018 with Mimosas for Memories. Because of his dedication he received the "Roll Up Your Sleeves" award from the Alzheimer's Association!
- Dr. Julia Bedard-Thomas pulled triple duty at the SNMA national conference in San Francisco representing Cincinnati from the family medicine, psychiatry and FMP perspective. We have a strong commitment to diversity because we believe this is the best way to serve our patients.
- Dr. Megan Rich, Dr. Joe Kiesler and summer research medical student Tyler Waid publish their work on teaching residents to recognize the social determinate of health (and some instagram ready photos) in The Ohio Family Physician. You can read more about our residency focus on addressing the needs of the whole patient by clicking here.
- Residents Dr. Sarah Hollis and Dr. Brain Bouchard joined core faculty member, Dr. Lisbeth Lazaron, as well as FMC clinic staff, to attend the first Smoke Free 4 Me conference in Columbus, Ohio. This project provides additional resources for parents hoping to decrease their child's second hand smoke exposure.
- Our Chief Resident Dr. Kara Ciani has matched into Geriatric Fellowship here at University of Cincinnati- so glad to keep one of our own! And not too far away Dr. Tyler (Kip) Drewry has matched as the Sports Medicine Fellow at Bethesda North/TriHealth!
- Chief Residents Dr. Elizabeth Beckman and Dr. Kara Ciani, along with Dr. Christian Gausvik, with the faculty support of our program director Dr. Bernheisel and Dr. Spata attended the Clinic First Collaborative in February 2018 in Kansas City. For more information on this initiative click here.
- Senior resident Dr. Tyler (Kip) Drewry and core faculty Dr. Hillary Mount published an article in Consultant on Parsonage-Turner Syndrome. In case you need to brush up on that, or want a sense of the diversity and complexity of patients we care for on our inpatient service, you can download the article here.
- Hosted by the HRSA PCTE Medication Assisted Treatment Expansion Project PI Dr. Jeffrey Schlaudecker, with support from team members Drs. Chris White, Reid Hartmann, Anna Goroncy, Megan Rich, and Soni Regan the family medicine department organized a multiple disciplinary dinner event focus on the opioid epidemic and its affect on our patient population. The author of the nationally recognized book, Dreamland, about the growth of opioid use in US even joined via Skype.
- We had multiple faculty and resident presenters at the STFM Practice Improvement Conference including Dr. Elizabeth Beckman (FMP), Dr. Darshana Bhattacharyya (FMP), Dr. Reid Hartmann and Dr. Jeffrey Schlaudecker.
- Dr. Megan Rich and Dr. Anna Goroncy represented the program at North American Primary Care Research Group in Montreal with a projects looking at the social determinants of health in our clinic population.
- Chief Resident Dr. Kirsten Koch and Dr. Michael Putnam presented at the AAFP national conference on the PFAC at our FMC office.
- Dr. Hillary Mount- Southwest Regional Director of the Ohio Academy of Family Medicine
- Dr. Aruna Puthota (FMP) and Dr. Rory Riverndale (FMP)- selected to present resident vignettes at the national Association of Medicine and Psychiatry conference
- Dr. Elizabeth Beckman (FMP), Dr. Hillary Mount, Dr. Montiel Rosenthal- 2017 Center for Clinical and Translational Science and Training Practice Based Research Award for the centering pregnancy program